Aquariums (Beware, Rant Ahead)

Hello and Happy Tuesday everybody! Earlier today, I joined my friend in visiting one of her coworker’s home.  The coworker had mentioned to my friend their love for aquarium life and that they actually had an aquarium in their house.  Knowing my love for animals of all kinds, especially pets, my friend decided to take me to see this aquarium.  I was so excited until I walked in the door.

This aquarium had maybe two live fish in it…and about ten dead.  The water was murky and outright disgusting.  There were hardly any decorations and I did not see a bottle of fish food anywhere in sight.  It took everything in me not to throw a fit right then and there.  I decided to turn to my blog instead to discuss how wrong this picture is for anyone to have.  If you are taking the responsibility of owning a pet, no matter what size or how interactive it is, you need to make sure that you have the time to care for the pet and give it the home and nutrition it needs. 

Aquariums can be a lot of work, but with the right tools it makes the job much easier.  You need to keep your tank clean.  It might be a messy job, but buy a filtration system for it.  They might be expensive depending on the type you buy, but it is a great investment and saves you from hours of cleaning instead.  Make sure your aquarium has plenty of rock and coral and other decorative items.  Fish are not always very social, and it is important to have spaces for them to hide and feel safe.  Lastly…and I can’t believe I feel the need to say this…feed your fish regularly!!! They can’t find food of their own when trapped in an aquarium, so please be sure to take care of them yourself.

Ok, end rant.  Thank you all for reading and dealing with my criticism here.  I hope this opens all of your eyes, however, to truly understand the work required for a pet before deciding to get one yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts